Saturday, March 6, 2010

Using the First Person Singular in Student Papers


I came across this thread the other day that shows just how divided academics are, especially historians and history teachers, about the use of "I" in essays. It all started with this post -

Fellow Historians,

A student's comment to me today made it clear that there is a significant difference of policy on the use of the first person singular in historical writing among members of my department. I wouldn't worry about this, but it seems to be causing some confusion among our students. How do others feel or require on this issue?

My position is to encourage the use of the first person singular, based on the argument that no historian can be totally objective, and therefore it is more intellectually honest to use the first person to acknowledge that fact and to take responsibility for one's position. Thoughts?

As this will be an item for discussion at my dept. meeting tomorrow (11/29), you can post any reply to me privately.

Gena DeAragon
Dept. of History
Gonzaga Univ.
Spokane, WA


To follow what the rest of the staff had to say go to the following link. It is very interesting!

http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~teach/threads/first.html


1 comment:

  1. Haha doesn't really give a final answer, but true, interesting. Indecisive Americans! hahaha

    ReplyDelete