Monday, August 2, 2010

Just for fun Tudor Quiz!


1. Which Tudor couple is said to feature in the children's nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence?

(a) Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
(b) Mary Tudor and Philip II of Spain
(c) Henry VII and Elizabeth of York
(d) Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon

2. The rebellion of Thomas Wyatt during Mary I's reign led to the execution of which rival claimant to the throne?

(a) Edward Courtenay
(b) Margaret Pole
(c) Lady Jane Grey
(d) Mary Stuart

3. Which of Henry VIII's queens wrote The Lamentations of a Sinner?

(a) Katherine Parr
(b) Katherine of Aragon
(c) Anne of Cleves
(d) Katherine Howard

4. To which of the Tudors was the renowned English scholar, Roger Ascham, referring when he wrote in admiration that they "readeth here now at Windsor more Greek every day than some prebendary of this church doth read Latin in a whole week"?

(a) Henry VIII
(b) Mary I
(c) Edward VI
(d) Elizabeth I

5. At which royal palace did Elizabeth I contract, and almost die from, smallpox in 1562?

(a) Hampton Court Palace
(b) Windsor Castle
(c) Richmond Palace
(d) Nonsuch Palace

6. Which lady-in-waiting did Elizabeth I refer to as 'that She-Wolf'?

(a) Bess Throckmorton
(b) Lettice Knollys
(c) Bess of Hardwick
(d) Mary Fitton

7. One of Elizabeth I's most cherished possessions was a locket ring.  Whose portrait did it contain, along with her own?

(a) Sir Walter Ralegh
(b) Mary I
(c) Anne Boleyn
(d) Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester

17 comments:

  1. ooooh I love the Tudors!! but I really fail at this quiz. Although I'm pretty sure 2 is C and 7 must be the adorable Robert Dudley. Jonathon Reese Myers is too lovely to play that atrocious womanising pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 is C, I'm pretty sure ... and 3 is Katherine Parr! Since she was one of the only smart/living ones. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on... someone have a go at the lot!!! None of this picking the one that you know. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh My favourite royal family lol.
    1. a
    2. c
    3. a
    4 d
    5. b
    6. c?
    7. d

    lol I have no idea if those are right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wait no. 6 is Lettice Knollys if Philippa Gregory is anything to go by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got four right Carmel! Not bad + your in the lead so far!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 - D
    2 - C
    3 - A
    4 - D
    5 - A
    6 - B
    7 - C

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. C
    2. C
    3. A
    4. D
    5. B?
    6. B?
    7. I hope it's Dudley but is it her mother?

    FYI, I absolutely hate multiple choice. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I think I know which ones I got wrong lol. Except for five =/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bek you are in the lead with 6/7!!

    I agree Soph, I hate them too!!! lol

    You should try making them up!! You have to have the correct mix of easy, mildly hard & very hard questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would 5 be A then sir? LOL

    Haha I always get excited when I see ABBA, ACDC or DADDA LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm is the answer 5 - (a) Soph???? Well maybe yes, maybe no!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. C
    2. C
    3. A
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. C

    This game plays with my head, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent effort Carmel & Bek but... Soph YOU are the Tudor expert!!!Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! LOLOLOL.

    ReplyDelete