Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chairman Mao Chinese Restaurant Kensington



Yum!!!! I had dinner at this restaurant last night with my family and the food was amazing.

Well it was for "most" of us. It was out of this world if you, like me, love Hunan style food - hot hot hot!!!! But not much good for those who don't like it hot - two people at our table who could eat next to nothing.

But I am paying the price for too many chillies today.

I wasn't that fond of the cold pig's ear - a bit too cold and chewy for me, but I loved the pork belly (Mao's very favourite dish) and hunan fish in garlic oil sauce.

Yummmm!

But don't just turn up and expect a seat. You have to book for this place. History on a plate really. Who could ask for more? lol

5 comments:

  1. YUM! LOL I thought you wrote "It was out of this like me" haha! It sounds really yummy. And now I am really hungry ... I also went out for Asian yesterday too! Jap/Korean fusion.

    LOL they only named the restaurant after his favourite meal right? They didn't actually worship him or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome sir. Mao just reminds me of this shop on Cleveland Street called Mao and more, and it has a lot of Mao memorabilia and Asian furniture and household items. It's pretty cool, it has all of these old toys from China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live 10 minutes from there!
    We went when it first opened, but now it's impossible to get a seat!
    I love spicy food and the food there is perfect for winter.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not cool... Hot! Gaby... very very hot! lol But I'm with you, I also love all that old propaganda stuff. The reds & yellows are so bright.

    And yes Sophia... they all worship him. They are all card carrying members of the Communist Party & we all stood and sang patriotic songs. lol NO!! Its just the decor & the coincidence that Mao was very fond of Hunan style cooking. He had his own private chef. BUT..... gulps.... he never ever cleaned his teeth. Yuk. People used to nearly pass out from his bad breath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you Lil! And its cheap! It only cost me two hundred & twenty bucks for lots of food & drinks for six people. What a bargain! lol

    ReplyDelete