Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do you need historiography for Germany Questions? Part 2


Again, Gabby, I think the guy's advice is a bit suspect. I think that using no more than 5 historians and paraphrasing their work is too general a piece of advice.

For instance, how could you answer "well" a question on Hitler's foreign policy without dealing with the different schools of historical thought?

I can see what the guy is getting at, he doesn't want students copying out slabs of other people's opinions and saying that is their essay. I think that advice is to keep the less able students, who could get themselves into trouble trying to deal with historiography that they don't really understand, out of trouble.

I agree with the paraphrasing, but short quotes can be valuable too.

All of this down-playing of historiography comes from a crisis that hit Modern History a few years back when the numbers doing the subject started to drop. The word had started to spread that you couldn't hope to get a Band 6 unless your had plenty of good historiography. This meant that only the kids doing History Extension in most schools were in with a chance. This wasn't really the case with a number of questions, but the idea was enough to scare plenty of people off the subject. So, you now get these people "stressing" to students that it is possible to get a Band 6 without historiography. But, as I have already said, I think that it isn't the case with a lot of questions and I think people can be a bit misleading, because they are afraid of losing students or scaring the ones that they have doing the subject already.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks sir :D
    I will prepare to historiographize my ass off, lol.
    In the mean time, back to baking >.<"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you baking Gaby? Baking is a really great skill. Do you just bake or do you other cooking??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, baking is my current skill, but I do cook a fair bit at home because my parents have become... lazy.
    At the moment I am baking strawberry pavlova cupcakes. Its kind of an experiment based on some lemon meringue cupcakes I made a few weeks ago. And after they are made, I will have to blog them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Gaby you are the clever one!

    Strawberry pavlova cupcakes! They sound amazing. And you "already" have your own baking blog. Wow again!

    My eldest boy (the chef) works with an amazing lady named Catherine Adams who is reputed to be one of the great pastry chefs of the world.

    I think it is an art really! Well done Gaby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures of the lemon meringue cupcakes made my mouth water! I am salivating at the though of them!!

    What is with you and your family Sir? Who are you?

    You should be getting excited about listening to my speech :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Bek your speech was worth waiting for! A very impressive use of prezi.

    And thank you so much Gaby for the strawberry pavlova cupcake. Wow! The chocolate cake from Kasey's birthday was lovely too. What a yummy day. lol

    I will look forward to seeing you on Masterchef in the next couple of years Gaby... probably up against Jess. You are both gifted bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry if the chocolate cake was a bit dense, the cooler weather makes that specific cake a bit hard, same goes for the icing. Ganache really loses it's pretty shine when it gets too cold. :/

    ReplyDelete